Hyssop has been widely used in Persia as a body lotion to improve their skin tone. In India, it is popular as a wound remedy and to treat water retention. In Greece, it is a staple item in a common household to treat seasonal respiratory conditions. But if there is a very relevant and historical use of Hyssop ever recorded, it is the Holy Bible. Hyssop has been mentioned many times during the time of David, Moses, Solomon, and Jesus as an herb that sanctified the people, physically and spiritually, thus it is also referred to as “holy herb.”
Hyssop essential oil has antibacterial, antiviral, bronchodilator, antipruritic, and anti-inflammatory properties so it can help treat bronchitis, pneumonia, flu, asthma, eczema, and swelling. However, because this herbal oil contains a nerve stimulant called pinocamphone, it is not suitable for pregnant women and epileptic patients.
Hyssop essential oil fuses well with Rosemary, Lavandin, Orange, Geranium, Tangerine, Melissa and Angelica.
Medicinal Benefits of Hyssop Essential Oil
- It controls spasms and relaxes the nerves and muscles around the digestive, nervous, and respiratory systems.
- It disinfects wounds, cuts, and abrasions to speed up healing and prevent further complications. You may put 2 to 3 drops to cotton ball and apply to affected areas.
- It relieves dysmenorrhea, muscle fatigue, pain, and soreness when added in a bath or massage oil.
- It can treat fever by increasing sweat to lower the temperature.
- It stimulates scar formation to expedite healing of wounds, rashes, chicken pox, and insect bites. It can also minimize scarring.
- It can help in meditation, relieving stress, fatigue, nervousness when you use 2-3 drops in a diffuser.
- It can stimulate hunger and appetite, relieve indigestion and bloating. Mix 2-3 drops of hyssop essential oil aith carrier oil and massage on abdominal area.
There are three different ways to use hyssop in treating cough, bronchitis, excessive mucus in airways: use 2-3 drops in a diffuser, or combine 2-3 drops in 30 mL of carrier oil, and rub on chest, or put 2-3 drops on your palms or handkerchief and sniff.
- It can generally improve blood circulation by combining 4 to 6 drops of hyssop oil with 60 mL of carrier oil and massage all over the body.
- It can treat low blood pressure if you diffuse 4-6 drops in a room.
- It can relieve sore throat, tonsillitis, or whooping cough by adding 3-5 drops in steam inhalation.
Get Your Hyssop Essential Oil Now!
Hyssop - weird name, but I really like this scent. It's unique - bittersweet - not flowery or fruity like so many others. Put a dab in a warmer, or diffuse through your bath and enjoy the feeling of serenity and calm.
Check Out All The Most Popular Essential Oils Now!