Not your average moisturizer, this DIY CBD lotion bar melts into your skin to deeply hydrate dry hands, heels, elbows, and anywhere else your body is craving intense moisture.
With a rich base of cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax and a touch of our luxurious CBD Beauty Boost, this homemade lotion bar recipe has a smooth and rich consistency. We honestly can’t get enough of this soothing, moisturizing formula.
What is a lotion bar?
You are likely used to using liquid lotions, oils, or creamy body butters to hydrate your skin. Lotion bars are solid hydration that are especially suited for extra-dry skin. The quantities of oils, wax, and butters in this recipe allow the lotion to melt with the temperature of your skin, leaving you feeling ultra-hydrated.
1. Combine coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, and cocoa butter in a 16-ounce glass measuring cup.
2. Place the measuring cup in a pot; then add water around it until it rises halfway up the measuring cup to create a DIY double boiler. (Caution:Do not let any water from the pot mix in with the oils and butters!)
3. Bring water to a boil, stirring the oil blend frequently until all ingredients are completely melted.
4. Remove measuring cup from the pot. Wipe off excess water on the outside to avoid cross-contamination between the oil mixture and water when pouring into molds.
5. Add CBD Beauty Boost and stir until completely combined.
6. Immediately pour into molds. (For the easiest removal, use silicone molds. If you do not have any on hand, you can use whatever other kinds of molds you have—muffin tins, baking dish, etc.)
7. Let sit overnight. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes for easy removal from molds.
8. Once cooled, remove the lotion from the molds. If necessary, cut lotion bars into your desired shape and size.
How to use lotion bars
When you need some moisturizing TLC, gently rub the lotion bar over your skin. After applying, massage your skin to help the product absorb. Breathe in the lavish rose aroma from our CBD Beauty Boost and the light, sweet, and chocolatey scents from the cocoa butter.
As a result of the butters and oils used in this recipe, your skin will feel slicker than with regular water-based lotions. It may not seem like it at first, but the product will absorb into your skin, so wait 10–15 minutes before putting clothing over the hydrated area.
Don’t have CBD Beauty Boost in your current collection? No worries! There are other scent combinations that you can experiment with. In this case, your lotion bars won’t have the benefits of CBD but will take on the equally amazing benefits of the essential oils you use! Just add 15–20 drops of your favorite oils or follow the recipes listed below.
Keep in mind that if you use unrefined cocoa butter, that delicious chocolate aroma we are all so familiar with will shine through. Use refined cocoa butter for an unscented option that allows your favorite essential oil aromas to be the star.
Combine the delicious scents of unrefined cocoa butter to create a chocolatey and sweet citrusy blend with Orange and Vanilla.
8 drops Orange
10 drops Vanilla
Use refined cocoa butter bring out the sweet floral aroma of Lavender and the fresh, uplifting scent of Lemon.
10 drops Lavender
10 drops Lemon
How to store lotion bars
Store in a cool, dry place. For a refreshing, cooling sensation during your lotion bar application, keep the bars in the fridge or freezer. If stored properly, these bars should last at least 2−3 weeks.