Your expert contour and glowing cheekbones are thanks to top-quality makeup, dozens of YouTube tutorials, and beautiful makeup brushes. But did you know that your brushes can become a breeding ground for bacteria? Take a deep breath and brush off that bacteria stress, because we’re here to teach you how to clean your makeup brushes. With this makeup brush cleaner made of simple household ingredients and a few quick steps, your brushes will be cleaner in a snap.
So get to it and clean your brushes!
- 1 cup witch hazel
- 4 teaspoons liquid castile soap
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Store in a glass bottle.
How to clean your makeup brushes
- Pour half of the makeup brush cleaner into a cup.
- Wet the bristles of the makeup brush by holding the brush vertically, bristles down, under running water.
- Once the bristles are wet, dip them in the cleaning solution.
- Using a textured surface, scrub the brush in a circular motion.
- Repeat steps 3-5 three or four times or until makeup is completely out of the brush.
- Rinse the brush until there are no more bubbles or soap in the bristles.
- Gently squeeze excess water out of the brush and lay it flat to dry.
- Discard used cleaner and use the other half of the unused cleaner next week!
YL tips and tricks
- While cleaning and drying your brushes, keep them as vertical as possible, with the bristles facing down. If water seeps into the handle of the brush, it can loosen the glue and cause the bristles to fall out.
- For applicators you use for makeup with a higher concentration of oil—such as gel eyeliner, lipstick, and lip gloss—add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. This will help clean the product out of your brushes, because oil cleans oil.
- Wash your brushes once a week to prolong their life and keep that bacteria buildup off your face.
Know of any other ways to keep your makeup brushes clean?
Share the details in the comments below!
Source: Young Living Blog